Tuesday, December 20, 2011

He's Captured My Heart, and Today, He's FIVE!

I can't pinpoint the day I fell madly in love with Levi. 

It wasn't the day of his birth, though I loved him with a mama-bear passion.  Twenty-two hours of grueling, induced, take-these-contractions-with-no-rest-in-between-and-like-it labor left me stunned in a hospital gown.  (OK, the last hour was a rainbow-y dance in the sunshine, as the epidural I [finally] agreed to took effect.)  But I was stunned nevertheless.  And with a baby.  A baby!  Our first.  Levi.



These past five years, he has proven to be thoughtfully inquisitive, thirsty for understanding, hilariously goofy, and a fine dancer.  Keeping up with the pace of his memory and questions leaves me daily challenged, and remembering to nurture his soft-hearted love and sensitivity so that he will continue to turn that tenderness, and entrust it, to Yahweh is a pleasure I do not take for granted.

I listen to his creative jokes, watch him play his funny pretend games with his funny pretend workers (imaginary friends we've all grown to love:  Binkin, Paunch, Kimper, Chimp, and Shama-Lama-Lingus, who all live currently on Pluto), try to give him honest answers to his constant questions, and watch him absorb wide-eyed any story we read or make up, and I think my heart will burst.

He is a strong little boy, full of life and willfulness, and while all kids are awesome, I have the distinct motherly privilege of being completely and uselessly biased into thinking he is the greatest little boy on the planet.  (Just like every other mother's little boy; it's our special right). 


I only now realized that I wrote
"Birthay."  Nice one, Mom!



So sweet, sweet Mr. Levi (aka Schmevi, aka Bubba) Eliot Finley, happiest of birthdays to you today as you turn FIVE!  Here's to your loose teeth and the one that's gone nearly horizontal today as you continued to mess with it, declaring, "I need the money."  (What?)  Here's to your practically politician-cultivated diplomacy and charm on the phone as you fielded your birthday calls all day, expressing great gratitude and grace with every caller.  Here's to your cake-decorating skills, your magic tricks, your declarations about mouse poop, and your investigations on your new microscope.  Your huge brown eyes and precious smile are a joy to me, and your lively nature give me incredible, new perspective on life and our heavenly Father.  May you always know and love Him, walk according to His purpose for you, know peace, laugh at fear and inhibitions, inspire and bless others, and change the world. 



I love you, sweet Bear!  We are so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment