Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To Be a Finley Kid...10 Things You'll Learn

Here, for your looking-into-the-Finley's-life reading pleasure, is a short list (in random order) of the things we insist our kids must have learned at some point under our tutelage before we'll consider them totally, adequately equipped to enter adulthood.  It's actually not all that brilliant, but it's our little list nonetheless, and gender is no exemption from completion of any item.  Also note that knowing God is the paramount attribute we want our kids to have.  It's not on the list 'cuz it's a given.

One...
     How to perform basic cooking and maybe a few extra fancy culinary abilities just for good measure.  This will include full competency in several basic recipes that, when taken together, cover a decent gamut of cooking knowledge.

Two...
    How to do laundry, and do it well.  If this one sounds obvious, you'd be surprised at how many people have to figure it all out in adulthood.  I wouldn't know this from experience.  Of course, I'm talking about other people (cough, shifty eyes).

Three...
    Basic music theory and piano.  If they also want to learn another instrument, so be it.  But from mine and Jed's musical experience, there is no substitute for the foundation learned from piano.  Plus, music is extremely mathematical and helps strengthen all kinds of cool areas in the brain.  And it's fun to be able to pick up an instrument at a party and get everyone singing.

Four...
    Basic outdoor survival skills.  I have no idea what this means.  I mean, I know what it means but not how to execute it.  I feel like I could catch a fish and build a fire, um, if I had a fishing pole and matches.  Clearly, we're not experts at all of these.  I DO know how to clean a fish, which is pretty awesome, really.  I like to think that I'm scrappy and resourceful, so I'll teach my kids that, and then I'll enlist the experts for all the rest.

Five...
    How to shoot a gun.  Yes, that's right.  And with precision, too, so back off.  ;)

Six...
    Self-defense.  I'm impressed with how much discipline is required in most formal fighting styles, and while this might be the least important one, to me, in the whole list, I'd love to see it through.

Seven...
    How to be a member of a team.  I want every one of our kids to be involved in some kind of sport at some point or another in their lives.  Even though we plan to homeschool doesn't mean we'll put blankets over our children when in public and shield them from reality.  Every so often, we'll drag our pasty selves out of the house and make some noise.  Clearly, Adelaide will be getting that volleyball scholarship into some magnificent college, but for all of them, I want them to experience the character building that comes from teamwork and competition and pushing one's self.

Eight...
    How to care for someone smaller or less able.  The older ones will get a healthy dose of this with their younger siblings, but especially for our youngest, we'll go out of our way to find or create opportunities for them to be responsible and care for younger ones.  Hopefully, this will help build selflessness and kindness among a slew of other things.  And will make that first year with a first newborn less...uh...shocking.

Nine...
    Bible proficiency.  We live our lives by relationship with the Father first and foremost.  The Bible is an extraordinary gift and tool that He's given to help support that relationship and teach us so much of the history and Truth and meaning that most matters to Yahweh.  I want my kids to have thoughtfully read it through and had total license to open any discussion and ask any question on the matter. 

Ten...
    Money management.  How to work and earn, how to tithe and offer, how to be generous, how to pay one's self and save, how to invest, how to spend, how to resist the siren song of unnecessary debt.  In fact, by the time we're done with them, they will loathe debt.

There are more, I know (riding a horse, for whatever reason, plus manners, having a garden, and another huge one I just remembered and then forgot), but 10 is a nice "list number," and this covers some biggies.  Are there any big ones to you that I'm leaving out?  I'd love to hear what they are!  One of the coolest things about families is how very different they all are.  I'm most inspired by the really structured, disciplined families that run like well-oiled machines with every member knowing and playing its own helpful role.  The reason, of course, is because that's not my greatest strength. 

But if nothing else, our kids will be responsible, caring, musical adults who walk with Yahweh and who could win a fight if pushed to it.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. This is greatness (not only because you've got some great ones, but I have THE EXACT SAME LIST, just minus #s 5 and 6). So funny! The only addition I have is Service (knowing the importance of and having it be a regular part of their lives - service at church, service in the community, etc.). It's something I struggle with personally, and I just mentioned to Rob last week that I want to make it more "natural" for the kids. I hope it will help them look outside themselves, which always fosters a healthy "love your neighbor" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny, Jacoba! Why am I not surprised? Service is a fantastic one! That, too, is another one that's big to us. I'm remembering to add it in. In return, you should definitely add #s 5 and 6 to your list so that if there's ever a peasant uprising against some dark lord, we're all set. :D

    ReplyDelete