Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Elusive Cup of Hot Coffee

Startle awake.
Baby stirring.
Preschooler still asleep?!
Feed baby.
Snuggle on couch.
Warmth.
Preschooler awake.
Pat coffeemaker:  "Let's see how today goes."
Start coffee.
Slight scent of coconut.
Oatmeal on stove.
Fry eggs.
Preschooler eats.
Baby fussing.
Eyeing my egg and oatmeal.
With longing...
Baby nap.
Oatmeal and egg to my seat.
Pour coffee.
Steam, sugar, cream.
Preschooler playing outside.
Knock, knock, knock!
Preschooler at the door.
Step away from food.
Answer door.
"No more knocking."
Back to food.
Knocking on door.
Preschooler:
"UPS man!"
"No more knocking!"
Back to food.
Cold oatmeal.
Pasty.
Preschooler needs gloves.
Back to food.
Rubbery egg down.
Cold oatmeal down.
Cold coffee...
Baby fussing.
Microwave coffee.
Paci re-inserted.
Wonderful drink of hot coffee!
Creamy, sweet, hot, delicious!
Preschooler ready for Play-Doh.
Play.
Pick up.
Use toothpick to dig out tiny Play-Doh bits.
From everywhere.
Microwave coffee.
Play.
Pick up.
Clean.
Go for walk.
Clean.
Start dinner.
Preschooler DVD.
Dinner.
Clean up.
Make decaf.
"Where's my coffee cup?"
Brush preschooler's teeth.
Baby to bed.
Preschooler in PJs.
Stories.
Night night.
Downstairs.
Coffee cup in microwave.
Stale, cold coffee.
Stale, cold coffee down the drain.
New cup.
Fresh hot decaf!
Creamy, sweet, hot, and delicious.
Empty cup.
Ahhhhh.

2 comments:

  1. OK, Jennifer! This was so hilarious!! I can totally relate! Some mornings I'm not sure why I even bother with the coffee but it's such a comforting ritual!

    I am really enjoying your blog!

    Love,
    Stephanie (Priddy) Cowart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie! I just happened upon this comment, as I did not get a notification for it. But anyway, thank you!
    As for, "Some mornings I'm not sure why I even bother with the coffee, but it's such a comforting ritual," well said! I often tease myself when I start measuring out the grounds, like, "Yeah right, lady." ;) Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete