Monday, November 22, 2010

Baby Leg Warmers and More

This post is entirely about unnecessary but fun baby stuff that might add an enjoyable diversion from the norm during the gift buying and receiving of the coming season.

Baby Leg Warmers

Though I like to call them leg sweaters, baby leg warmers are cute and practical.  I was walking through Toys 'R' Us while still pregnant with Adelaide, and two bright rainbow-striped legs went by me.  I ran over to the mommy carrying her baby boy, the one donning the stripes, and asked her where on earth she got those cute little leg thingies.  They were a gift, but as it went, she knew their origin: etsy.com.  It's a fantastic website, and you've probably been there already.  If not, check it out, but be careful!  Anything you think to look up you'll almost certainly find in unique and fun options you'd never imagined, and it's easy to sit down at 1 o'clock for ten minutes or so only to come out of your spellbound reverie, see that the clock says 2:30, wonder what your children are doing, and reluctantly click the "x" to close the page at long last.


 As soon as I got home I visited the site.  I entered "baby leg warmers" or something like that in the Search box and became overwhelmed with the pages of results, all from various vendors and all with nearly irresistible options.  I narrowed down my favorites over the next few months, then chose from the vendor with a current sale, good shipping, and a vibe I liked.  Her individual website is crawlercovers.com, and I can't say how great the service and the products were.

People exclaim over them all the time when Adelaide wears them, and they're just one of those fun items that are adorable and would also make a fun, unexpected gift for any babies in your life.  Worn with a onesie, they make for easy diaper changes, and for people in colder climates they're about as practical as you get when little cotton pants just aren't going to keep tiny legs warm.  They have designs for boys and girls, and they actually grow with baby through toddlerhood, serving then as knee-highs or over the knee warmers.  Also for the older kids, they can wear the warmers as sleeves with short-sleeved shirts, which is very nearly too cool for school.  If you just can't see it, check the website; some people have pics of it.

More warmers plus shoe socks

Shoe Socks (or maybe Sock Shoes...)

Another item I love is a little more mainstream; it just took me longer to catch up.  However, if you haven't ever seen Trumpette socks for babies (and I'm sure other brands make them, too), I highly recommend them.  They're socks that stay on, which is great in and of itself, but they also have a design that looks like a stylish little shoe.  Adelaide, like Levi did, does not keep shoes on, so socks that look like shoes are perfect.  They have many designs, and like the dilemma with the leg warmers, the conundrum is deciding which ones to choose unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a mound of socks.  I first saw these on a good friend's baby, but hers were in the form of tights with little shoe designs on the feet.  I'm not sure what brand they were.  You can search for all of these at Amazon.com.

Wooden Name Letters

Finally, when I was pregnant with Levi, my mom bought us beautiful wooden letters for Levi's wall that spelled his name, but when Adelaide was born, the store no longer carried them.  When I did a search for wooden letters, I was astonished at the prices I was finding!  For a name as long as Adelaide, some options would've run us $200.  Not gonna happen.  Then I found it:  woodlandmanufacturing.com.  They offer a lot of happy options at a reasonable, doable price, especially if your kid has a short name!  You can choose from a pretty extensive list of fonts, colors, and sizes, and you can order each letter indiviually if you want the name to have different colors.  It was $40 for the name Adelaide, plus basic shipping.


(We used the Vivian font...both cute and
appropriate:  that's her middle name...awww.)

So, it's just a bunch of stuff, but it's stuff that has been a fun find and that we've really enjoyed around here.  Check them out for your little one or maybe another little one on your Christmas list.

And happy Thanksgiving week!  Hope your Turkey Day is full of family and laughter and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment